Cheapskates Unite! How to Do RWA Nationals on a Budget
Speaker: Tawna Fenske
Hello, fellow cheapskate!
Whether you attended my RWA 2019 workshop on doing conferences on a budget, or you just want tips on low-cost travel, I’m happy to share what I’ve learned in 20+ years of globetrotting on a shoestring.
Click the link below to download a PDF of my workshop.
Cheapskates Unite! How to Do RWA Nationals on a Budget pdf presentation
Before and after spacesaver bags: 2 tops, 2 skirts, 6 dresses, 1 hoodie sweatshirt, PJ top and bottom, and 2 cardigan sweaters. Even Jack the dog is impressed.
And here are some products and retailers I mention in my presentation…
- Roll-up spacesaver bags are a godsend if you go carry-on only, which I highly recommend for saving on luggage fees and hassle. You’ll find tons on Amazon, but these are the ones I’ve had for several years: https://amzn.to/2Yi1LyH
- I always bring my North Face Borealis backpack as my “personal item” when flying, as it fits neatly beneath the airplane seat in front of me. I love the special compartments for things like laptop and Kindle, plus it’s a great daypack for hiking: https://amzn.to/2Oau1Q1
- Eagle Creek makes some of the sturdiest, most travel-friendly rolling carry-ons available, and I love the compression straps for cinching things snug: https://www.eaglecreek.com/
- The Capital One Venture Card is my travel rewards card of choice. There are perks to both the no-fee card and the one with the annual fee, so choose the one that’s right for you: https://capital.one/2JGJjb4
- Uber and Lyft will almost always be cheaper than regular cabs, and you can save even more when sharing rides with others. Download the apps to your smartphone, input your payment info, and you’re ready to roll!
- Thrift store shopping is an art form and can save you gobs of money. No thrift stores in your town? Try these online options:
- Stuffing your carry-on with a small electronic appliance can save you bundles over restaurant dining. Just hit a grocery store as soon as you arrive, and you’re all set to prepare tasty, nutritious in-room meals. Some gadgets I like: